VEGAN SMOKY BLACK BEAN CASSEROLE
Serves: 4 – 5
Preparation time: Approx. 15 minutes
Cooking time: Approx. 1 hour
2 Lyons Coffee Bags No3
150ml boiling water
1 onion (red or white), diced
2 tsp coconut, vegetable or olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 small stick celery, sliced
½ red pepper, roughly chopped
½ yellow pepper, roughly chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp chipotle chilli paste
2 tsp muscovado sugar
1x 400g chopped tomatoes
2x 400g black beans in water, drained
1 vegan vegetable stock cube*
3 vine tomatoes, halved horizontally
Cooked wholegrain rice or quinoa
1 avocado, peeled and diced
1 lime, cut into wedges
Few sprigs coriander
Vegan natural yoghurt (optional)
- Pour the boiling water into a measuring jug then add the Lyons Coffee Bags and stir. Leave to cool, gently squashing the bags every now and then.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pan and fry the onion and carrots over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, celery and peppers and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the cumin, chipotle paste, sugar, chopped tomatoes and black beans. Crumble in the stock cube and season with black pepper. Stir then bring to a gentle simmer for 30 minutes.
- Squeeze the coffee bags again then discard them and pour the coffee into the pan. Stir then place the tomato halves on top of the casserole. Cover with a lid and cook over a low heat for a further 20 minutes, taking care not to break up the tomato halves.
- Peel and chop the avocado and squeeze over a little lime juice. Serve the casserole in a bowl, with the avocado on top, a wedge of lime, and cooked quinoa or wholegrain rice on the side. Sprinkle with a little fresh coriander, then spoon on a dollop of vegan yogurt if desired.
* Make this dish gluten free by using a gluten free stock and chilli paste
* For extra spice and smoky flavours, add a little more chipotle paste