A GROWN UP TWIST ON A CLASSIC RECIPE WITH LYONS COFFEE BAGS
Banana bread is a traditional, go to recipe. This delicious take on the classic recipe is perfect for when you fancy something that tastes indulgent but is actually low in fat.
Coffee and banana are a perfect pairing. The bitterness of the coffee compliments the sweetness of the bananas, producing an irresistibly rich and aromatic flavour.
Containing 100% fresh ground coffee, Lyons Coffee Bags are a mess free way of adding delicious, fresh coffee to recipes.
BANANA AND COFFEE LOAF
Makes 1 Large Loaf
Preparation time: Approx 20 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Ingredients for loaf
2 Lyons Coffee Bags (No.3)
175ml freshly boiled water
100ml milk (or cold water for dairy-free)
2 large ripe bananas
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 tbs oil
150g self-raising flour
150g wholemeal self-raising flour
125g demerara sugar
40g pecan nuts, chopped
Ingredients for coffee icing:
100g icing sugar, sifted
Excess coffee from loaf recipe
Dried banana chips for decoration
- Pour 175ml of freshly boiled water into a measuring jug then add the coffee bags, stir and squeeze then leave to brew for four minutes
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC fan/180ºC conventional/gas 4. Line a large loaf tin with non-stick baking parchment
- Remove the coffee bags, squeezing out the last bit of coffee then pour out a couple of tablespoons into a small bowl and reserve for the icing, Measure the milk or cold water into the jug with the coffee
- Peel and mash the bananas with a fork on a plate then transfer to a small bowl. Mix in the egg, vanilla and oil
- Mix the flours with the sugar and salt in a large bowl then stir in the nuts, reserving a few chopped nuts for the top
- Add the banana mix to the dry ingredients then pour in the coffee. Combine quickly without over-working. Tip into the tin and smooth the top then sprinkle over the rest of the nuts
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes. Check that the loaf is ready by inserting a wooden skewer into it – if it comes out clean, the loaf is ready. If not, leave to cook for another 5 minutes and check again. Cool in the tin
- If decorating with icing, mix the icing sugar with the reserved coffee until the right consistency to spoon over the loaf. Drizzle on the coffee icing then decorate with banana chips.
- Serve sliced with a little butter if desired (or nut butter for dairy-free)